Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mother of the Year

Dear Mother of the Year Committee,

It's me, Katie, again. I hope you have received my previous self-nominating letters. I haven't heard back from you so I thought I would try again. To refresh your memory, I believe I should be the next mother of the year. Some of the highlights of my mothering include: feeding my kids mac n cheese two days in a row so I can start and finish a series of books involving a vampire, letting my two year old watch Caillou as many times as he wants so I can get the dishes in the dishwasher and laundry in the washer before my husband comes home, and knowing the sounds of markers coloring on forbidden items in my room but not getting up from my bed so I can finish a much needed ten minute nap.

My latest and greatest feat of motherhood happened yesterday in the parking lot of our Dr.'s office. I had Ava in the front pack, Dallin in the stroller, and Madelyn was walking. I just finished closing the automatic door on our van when Dallin started screaming. I realized his big toe was shut in the door. I frantically tried to pull it out but had to wait until the door finished closing and was able to reset itself to automatically open again. Then I proceeded to run through the parking lot (with a screaming two year old, a fussing infant, and scared 5 year old) to the Dr.'s office. All while being given the stink eye for having such noisy kids. The Dr. determined the toe would be okay, but pretty painful for a while. When we got back to the car, Jesse was kind enough to point out the dried road kill blood on the white door frame from Dallin's toe. We finally made it home after Dallin screaming for at least an hour straight, then had him sit on the couch the rest of the night. I mean he did not move a muscle the rest of the night, just sat on the couch and cried whenever he saw his "boom-boom" toe. After we finally got him in bed I had this "Mother of the Year" thought which I graciously shared with Jesse...."I might really like having a "boom-boom" toe on my two year old every few months so I can have a break. No running after him, no counter climbing, no scissors, no knives, no fire. I could just leave him on the couch and know he isn't going to move." Is it really sooo bad to wish for your kid to be out of commission so you can have a break for a few hours every once in a while?

Please let me know when the decision will be made for Mother of the Year. I've tried so hard and will be disappointed to not have the honor bestowed on me once again.

Sincerely - Katie

8 comments:

The Eccles said...

You crack me up! All in a day's work! You are a great mama. Ouch with the toe...I've only ever had fingers & hands caught in there. I secretly like when my kids are sick and just sleep on the couch, shhh, don't tell!

The Eccles said...

P.s. send me your email!
eccles98@hotmail.com

Natalie said...

Poor little boom-boom! I love your letter....you are Mother of the Year! I think I'm a contender to though....both m y older kids came to the front door howling like they were on fire. I ran down the stairs to open the door and see what was the matter and found that they had collided with each other on their bikes and claimed to have broken bones, as they walked into the room. I said, "Well, I don't see blood, so there is no reason you should be screaming as loudly as you were....you're being overly dramatic." They're both limping this morning. I rock.

Kathy said...

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU for the belly laughs. We've all had such magnificent moments, but so few actually have the courage and/or sense of humor and/or presence of mind to document it in the moment (--three cheers for sanity-saving blogs, eh?). What a jewel this piece is <-) Reading this helps us all keep going when things get unbelievably beyond our range of worst-case-scenario lack of control. And even better, these are my very own grandkids and their amazing mommy, all of whom I love to pieces.

Jessie said...

Perfect description of my life too! Made me laugh.

Kasey said...

I think any mother of a boy is eligible for Mother of the Year. This post was hilarious!

Sara was just telling me that Samuel has an almost daily danger encounter. I think this week was almost getting hit by an old man in the church parking lot and getting momentarily lost at Costco. Ah, boys.

The Graf Family said...

Katie you Rock !! Yes, you are mother of the year, but I have been telling you that forever. You made me laugh so hard.

The Graf Family said...

Katie you Rock !! Yes, you are mother of the year, but I have been telling you that forever. You made me laugh so hard.